Monday 21 October 2013

Grandad Pat The Travelling Man


Grandad, why have you been away?
Where have you been?
Where did you stay?

Grandad, I thought that you would never leave.
You liked your armchair,
Your nice cup of tea.

And watching the quiz shows on the TV,
Shouting out answers
Much quicker than me,

Your comfortable slippers with wooly inside,
Chip supper on Friday,
A fish on the side.

Grandad, why did you travel abroad?
What did you see there?
Please tell me more.
Well, lad, I thought it was time for a change
Time to do something
That felt new and strange;
I went to the land of the Clangbacklecloo
The eight-footed Gaggler
That smells like beef stew,
I talked with a Dolphinasaurus called Jim
He swam when he spoke
And I really liked him.
I climbed the sweet-mountains of Pickamix Land
Where everything’s edible,
Even the sand.
I sang with the snaggletoothed lemon-soaked pies
Who all have green bellies
And seventy eyes.
I waved at the glitter filled waterfall tree
It smiled and giggled
And waved back at me
I swam in the dark until it all came clear
I swam all the way
From there back to here
Grandad, whyever did you want to go?
Did you not like it?
Here back at home?

Ah, lad, I loved it in my nice warm house
With slippers and fires
And love all about
But years ago I made a promise you see,
To a lad, just your age,
Just your height, too, I see.
Grandad, what did you say to that lad?
Was he your friend
Was he my dad?
I said that one day, that I would go away
And paddle in
The brook of Bombay
I told him that when I was old enough
I’d ride on the dinobeasts
They’re not so tough
I’d dingle the dongle of Waggleface Womble
I’d dance on the head
Of the giant called Fred
I’d play darts with Goggle and soccer with Swoggle
I’d drink from the lightning
In the land of Spoggle
I’d climb to the top of the Bagabag bush
Which only has one fruit
As big as a brush
I’d do all these things because life should be fun
Because you don’t need reasons
To do what you’ve done.
Grandad, you do like to talk in riddles
It’s making my head hurt
Although just a little;
But why did you only just go on your travels?
Not when you were younger
It’s quite the kerfuffle.
Ah, well, you’ll find out one day
It’s sometimes hard
To get away
Because you’ve got to work and earn enough money
To pay for your house,
And your bread, milk and honey.
I wasn’t so careful, at least so it seems,
Because decades went past
And I forgot my dreams.
But then I remembered what your Grandma said
One morning at breakfast
Over jam and bread.

She said,

‘Grandad Pat, whatever happened to
That lad that we used to know
Where did he go?
Oh
He was a lovely
Adventurous boy
I remember him well. He was a joy.’

Grandad, do tell me more
What happened to that lad?
The one she adored?
Well, young man, it seems that he faded away
We lost touch you see,
Somewhere on the way.
Whilst I was too busy with numbers and figures
And desks, and telephones,
Ringing and ringing
And clients, and suits, and pleasing the boss
Then on the weekend
Trying to just relax
And then Monday’d come and it’s more of the same
More sheets to fill in,
No time for games.
So that lad and I didn’t speak for forty years
It wasn’t an issue
There weren’t any tears,
Then your Grandma said,
Granddad Pat. Why don’t we see
If that boy is still around.
He was fun,
Hmm?
I am sure
He would love to laugh
With you again about adventurous stuff.'

But I wouldn’t listen, because I was too busy
Writing reports,
Getting in a tizzy
Then one day my boss, who was younger than me,
Who wore shiny suits
And had a degree,
Said .
‘Pat, we’d like to thank you
For your service,
But your time is through.
You have reached retirement age
And we’re retiring your job
Think of the money
That
The Company
Will
 Save.’


Then your Grandma said,
‘Pat, you gave them nothing but your best
But now it’s time
To reflect
On
What you want
On what you said
To that young lad we used to know.’


Oh Grandad, what a story, What a tale!
Who was this lad?
What did you say?
Well, lad, I took a while
To remember his face
To remember his smile.
And I looked in the mirror
And despite all the years
I could remember his eyes
His nose, and his ears.
I remembered the promise I’d made way back when
And I reached out and called him
And heard him again!
I told him, ‘Young fellow, I’m going abroad
With Grandma Victoria
We’ll fly with the birds,
We’ll gronk with the gakalak bokabadoo
The spingly spongles of Kalamazoo
And zoom down the ice slopes at Bangor-On-Toast
Your Grandma and me
Will see who
falls
over
 the
 most.
We’ll laugh and we’ll play like never before
We won’t be distracted
By silly suits any more.'
So we travelled and travelled and ignored the women and men
Who said we were old
And were no good to them.
We took a slow boat on the fast lane to Clang,
We got tangled in branches
And fell in a can,
And hid from the ravenous Fastflippy bird
Who’s short-sighted enough
To think we were served
For his dinner, or luncheon, or double-time tea
Well a supper’s the last thing
We wanted to be!
Grandad, I am sleepy And ready for bed.
But before I go up
Will you tell me the rest?
Just one more thing, for now, then, you curious lad.
Because you enquired
And because you asked.
That young man I mentioned, right at the start
About your age,
With a good mind and heart.
I will tell you his name, and soon enough you’ll see
That the boy was called Pat.
That the young lad was me.



_____________________________________________________________________________ 




No comments:

Post a Comment